Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bonjour et Bienvenue à Raw in France

Being a raw vegan is a rarity.  Being a raw vegan in France...well, I don't know if that even exists.

Until now.  Yes France, I have arrived.  And I'm a raw vegan.  No, I don't eat cheese, I don't eat pain chocolate, and its true, I won't even eat your steamed string beans. 

My friends at Prana once gave me the nickname "Nora the Raw Food Explora".  Nora, well that's just not my name at all.  However, I do think I've begun to earn the title "Explora".  After a month and a few days of living and studying in Grenoble, I have done my fair share of culinary exploration.  However, this is not the typical culinary research one would expect in the food capital of the world.  

High up in the Swiss Alps surrounding Grenoble
When I decided to study abroad in France for a semester, I knew things would be different...Not only would I be in a foreign country, immersing myself in a new language and culture, I would have relearn how to be raw.  At home, its easy.  I practically live at Prana (the best raw food ever).  Health food stores are in every neighborhood (my fav, Debras Natural Gourmet).  My super best friend, well she's a raw foodie too.  I've got it all...an abundance of green juice, coconut cream pie, a raw community and a Vitamix, to name a few.

So when the time came to get up and go, packing my bags was quite the ordeal.  I left behind my blender, juicer, dehydrator and all.  I brought the basics...and a little more.  I had enough to hold me over for the first couple of weeks...and that took up the majority the space in my duffel.  Forget clothing, I need my nut butters!

Much raw adventuring has ensued over the past month.  Too much to summarize in a single, introductory message. So for now, I will leave you with this:  Being raw in France is possible.  It's more than possible, it's an absolute joy.  It takes some creativity, determination and a sense of adventure...but if you are already into raw, you already have all of those qualities.

A bientôt et bien sûr, Bon appétit!

10 comments:

  1. Grenoble looks beautiful,and so do you!! Best of luck with la via cru, I'm excited to hear about all your adventures and misadventures trying to feed yourself:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eva!!! como estas?...q linda...hasta cuando te quedas por esos lados?...cuentame cositas tuyas, como es la fla?...Bss te Km

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hildsis! Can't wait to hear more about YOU through your blog http://thevenerablebean.wordpress.com/!!!

    Kenna! Estoy muy bien! y estoy aqui hasta enero...te cuento mas en un mail. Tkm! besos y abrazos :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely girl in a beautiful place eating wonderful food... what could be better? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a Francophile and raw-food (vegan) enthusiast, I'm interested to hear about your experiences eating raw in France. I'm going to "follow" your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome Radish! Thanks for following and so happy to have you here :)
    Love n light!
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Eva !
    Qu'étudies-tu en France ?
    What are you studying in France ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonsoir livingfoodist. J'étudie le français (la langue), l'histoire franciase, la littérature francaise et l'art moderne et contemporain...! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. bonjour, je découvre ton blog, il me plait beaucoup !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonjour et bienvenue Adeline! Je suis tres contente que mon blog te plaise :) Happy reading! -Eva

    ReplyDelete

Questions, reactions or advice? Leave me a comment!