Friday, November 19, 2010

Raw in Paris: Take 2

Last weekend I returned to Paris, ooo la la!  I spent the best Friday afternoon ever with Marie, a raw vegan chef and all around radiant person.  She's pampered me with a beyond delicious lunch that included a out-of-this-world seaweed salad and lavender honey homemade kefir.  As if that wasn't enough to make my day rawsome, Marie then had the brilliant idea to take me to a organic and wellness fair just a short walk away at Salon Marjolaine in Parc Floral de Paris.

The fair was truly a dream-come-true for anyone interested in anything natural/wellness/organic oriented.  There was everything from all natural handmade slippers to Peruvian maca to arts and crafts workshops. And it was impossible to not spend at least a little money, but I picked up a few special products that were very much worth it. 

First and foremost, Spiruline L'Algue Bleue des Andes from the Flamant Vert company.  This may look like your average spirulina, but rest assured, it is not.  It's absolutely delicious. Spirulina that tastes good?  I asked myself the same question when Marie told me she was addicted to the stuff. I've been taking spirulina in my smoothies and mixed with water for a while now, but I've never thought of it as something with a flavor that I crave. But this product is something special.  I'm literally eating it by the spoonful...it tastes that good.

Bee Pollen.  Another superfood that I never thought of as particularly delicious, but Pollenergie pollen is really something. (Yes, I eat and <3 bee products although I do call myself vegan). I could definitely eat it by the spoonfuls but I don't have as much so I'll try to keep it to one scoop a day.  I tried a few different types, but the châtaignier ronce (chestnut 'bramble') variety was the one that I decided to bring home.  Among bee pollen's many benefits, the châtaignier variety is supposed to help reduce stress and anxiety for a "zen" effect.  This might come in handy as the semester winds down and final exams commence. 
Vendor explaining the different qualities of the pollen varieties as I sampled to my hearts desire :)
Hemp seeds and hemp oil.  I really got a kick out of the L'Chanvre vendor from Lanrivain.  He was quite the character feeding the passerby's with his hemp oil and seeds.  Both the seeds and oil were exceptional in flavor.  He had his oil press right in his display, and I got a palm full of oil straight from the press...talk about fresh!  I've already used his products in a few of my salads and they completely pump of the flavor factor.  Yum! 
Can you see the funnel to the left of the vendor? That's the oil press
Garlic. It won't be long before this Agrocoeur award winning "fleur d'ail rose" (flower of rose garlic) from Les jardins de la Vère in Castelnau de Monmiral is gone. The "flower" is blended with extra virgin olive oil and celtic sea salt and makes an excellent paste to put on or in just about anything.  It's much more less pungent and spicey than a garlic clove itself, but just as full and flavorful.

It's really wonderful to see (and sample!) are so many exceptional raw vegan products in France...they just aren't labeled and advertised as "raw vegan", since most people in  France have no idea what eating "raw" means...much less vegetarian.  So, it takes a little more scouting that I'm used to in the States, but as you can see, fresh, organic, locally grown and artisan products are most certainly abound in France!

3 comments:

  1. j'y suis allée moi aussi au salon.
    Pour la spiruline je te conseille d'essayer celle de la maison de la spiruline sur le stand méli jo (graines à germer) et le pollen il est souvent moins cher à la coop que sur le salon en tout cas pour pollen énergie.
    Mais tu as repéré là des produits de grande qualité (pollen, chanvre)

    ReplyDelete
  2. waouh ! j'aimerais aller sur ce genre de salon !

    ReplyDelete
  3. c'est vrai indaintigre? quelle coincidence! j'espere que tu as passe un tres bon sejour a paris :)

    Et adeline, j'espere que tu va a un salon comme ca un jour...!!!!

    Merci aux deux pour lire :)

    ReplyDelete

Questions, reactions or advice? Leave me a comment!