Thursday, November 25, 2010

Le fromage cru...de noix de cajou!

In the land of cheese and wine I finally got to have mine too.  Ha!

I made some raw cashew cheese using rejuvelac (see my previous post on rejuvelac) and a fermentation process. The base consists of blended cashews, rejuvelac, lemon juice and salt. You let the mixture ferment for 24-36 hours and from there you can add whatever flavor your heart desires.  I made three: garlic, herb, and curry.  They were all so delicious that I didn't even have a chance to take a picture before every last bit of cheesy-goodness was devoured.  If you have a little patience, I HIGHLY recommend experimenting with your own fermented cashew (or any type of nut) cheese.  The fruits of your labor will astound you, and whichever lucky people you share your creation with.

Because I don't have my own photo, I've borrowed one from rawmazing.com for an example.  They coated the outside with pepper for a nice finished look:
Rawmazing.com's cashew cheese
If you need instructions and a recipe to make your own cashew cheese, look no further than the raw seed blog, where Meredith compliments written instructions and a recipe with a video that explains exactly how to make your own at home...and really, the process is quite simple! 

It's true, with the amazing array of creative, nutritious and delicious raw vegan recipes out there, you can really have your (cheese)cake and eat it too ;-).

8 comments:

  1. You rawk! Inspiration has never been so tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I hope you try to make some...and if you do let me know how it turns out :). xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmh, interesting !
    But where do you find RAW cashews in France (except Orkos) ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emilie! Orkos is the only source I know of...but I like to think that when you are fermenting the cashews you are bringing them back to life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hum...It is different, it is like the difference between cheeses made with raw milk and those made with pasteurized milk.
    (I can feel the difference)
    It is better than cooked food, but it is not raw ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Do you know of any French DVDs about eating raw? I have some interesting DVDs I'd like to share with my husband but he doesn't speak English. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Questions, reactions or advice? Leave me a comment!